Academically Based Community Service
Academically Based Community Service integrates community service or community-based research with academic learning.
Research and best practices in higher education clearly demonstrates that academic service-learning enhances university community partnerships, contributes to a discipline’s scholarship of engagement and strengthens students’ knowledge, skills and experiences in addressing real world issues.
- Rooted in service and intrinsically linked to teaching and research.
- Reciprocal and mutually beneficial partnerships between UNL (students, faculty and staff) and community organizations.
- Authentic and focused on problem-solving research and teaching.
- Transformational which promotes learning through service.
- Emphasizes student and faculty reflection on the service experience.
- Developmental in fostering structural community improvement including effective public schools, neighborhood development, and community organizations.
- Local, regional, national or international.