Campaign Theme: Show Your Red
"Show Your Red" is about celebrating the positive characteristics that are part of being a person of integrity, demonstrating the very best qualities of a Husker. Six character traits are branded as the building blocks of integrity. The selected character traits are not intended to be all-inclusive, but the campaign, in the beginning, will focus on the qualities of caring, citizenship, commitment, dependability, open-mindedness, and respect.
Character Council Application is now Available!
The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs is seeking students interested in the advancement of character and integrity at UNL. Applications are available now and are due on March 1st. Work with students, the Vice Chancellor and Center for Civic Engagement. Influence positive character and apply today. Click the following Icon to download the printable application! Click here for the Character Council Application.
Campaign Deployment Strategy
The campaign will be deployed through existing communities where students have normal contacts. These communities are divided into three groups by primary characteristics:
- Where students have ongoing, primary contact with a group or individual: University Housing, Greek living units, select student organizations and advisory boards
- Places where students congregate frequently: Campus Recreation, NE Unions, JGMC
- Special Events: University Program Council, Campus Night Life, Take Back Game Day, Power-Up Camp, Mid-Semester Check
The campaign execution is slightly different for each group. For example, University Housing and Greek living units are the primary groups where the 'magic' happens in the campaign. Following are ideas and suggestions for implementing the campaign within your unique setting but feel free to develop new and exciting ways to participate!
- Conduct meetings about character and explain how students can be rewarded with badges for demonstrating positive traits.
- Place notes/badges on the room doors of students demonstrating a positive characteristic.
- Hang posters about the "Show Your Red" campaign.
- Invite students to nominate other students for awards.
- Utilize the campaign to recognize employees and student organization members during regular meetings.
- Ask student advisory board members to distribute buttons to faculty and staff who demonstrate character.
- Challenge group members to randomly recognize students demonstrating character while walking to and from class.
Residence Hall, Greek and RSO Campaign representatives will meet regularly with Vice Chancellor Franco as members of the VCSA Character Council. Meetings will begin six weeks into the semester offering opportunities for representatives to exchange ideas with one another and discuss campaign implementation progress with Dr. Franco.
For more information, please contact Linda Major at firstname.lastname@example.org or 472-3755.
Recognizing Others through Social Media
Those who can't be identified can still be celebrated - or, at least their behavior can - through social media (the campaign has a Facebook page and Twitter account) or by emailing email@example.com. When people share how someone Showed Their Red via email or social media, Student Affairs staff will re-post on Twitter and Facebook, creating a feed of examples for anyone to follow.
The Show Your Red campaign is seeking nominations for Franco’s List, a public recognition of students of integrity. The Show Your Red campaign defines integrity as the quality of being honest and having strong moral character. Faculty, staff and other students are encouraged to nominate deserving individuals by clicking on the following link, Franco’s List, and completing the attached form. Students will be recognized on a semi-annual basis. Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click HERE for photos from the reception.